City Hall Subway Station in New York City, New York.
(photo by John-Paul Palescandolo)
The City Hall Subway Station opened in October 1904 and was part of the first line of the New York City Subway. It was designed to be the showpiece of the new subway. The last train stopped at City Hall on December 31, 1945. The station was then closed because it would have been expensive and far too difficult to renovate the station at the modern standards. Another reason to close the station was the nearby Brooklyn Bridge station, which is much busier.
The ghost station is still used as a turning loop for 6 Lexington Avenue Local trains. The station can also be visited by registered members of the New York City Transit Museum.