West Pier in Brighton.
(photo by Adream608)
The West Pier is a pier in Brighton, England. It was built in 1866 by Eugenius Birch and has been closed and deteriorating since 1975, awaiting renovation. The pier did not have much of a superstructure until 1893 when a pier head was extended and a pavilion added. A concert hall was added in 1916 and a new top-deck entrance in 1932. In 1965 the pier was bought by a company that owned some seafront hotels and entertainment venues. They had ambitions for the pier but as maintenance costs increased the pier was closed in 1975. The pier was cut off from the shore for safety reasons.
In 1984 a trust fund, with the goal to renovate the pier, bought it, but has to date not been able to succes in that goal. Since 2000 the pier caught fire several times, destroying it even more, and parts of the West Pier fell into the sea due to heavy winds.